These were a HIT at the party! Even my kids ate them… Another healthy options for Sloppy Joes!
Quick and Easy
HEALTHY SLOPPY JOES
PREP TIME 5 mins
COOK TIME 15 mins
TOTAL TIME 20 mins
- ½ lb. lean ground beef ( or turkey)– or Tofu (vegetarian)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup canned navy beans (or garbanzo)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 4 whole wheat or seeded hamburger buns
In a large sauté pan (with lid) cook ground beef on medium-high until browned. If necessary, drain any fat from pan. Add garlic and stir to combine.
Add carrots and spinach to ground beef and stir until the spinach begins to wilt (approx. 1-2 min.). Add remaining ingredients (beans, tomatoes, green onion, mustard, vinegar, ketchup and maple syrup). Reduce heat to medium and cover the pan. Allow mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until completely cooked (approx. 8-10 min.)
Toast the buns (if desired) and spoon mixture onto buns.